Take the train
Newly-constructed Union Station is about to provide service in downtown Raleigh in 2018. Amtrak trains run through downtown Raleigh and downtown Cary. Routes with local stops include The Carolinian (Charlotte to Cary to Raleigh to New York), The Piedmont (Charlotte to Cary to Raleigh) and The Silver Star (Florida to Raleigh to New York).
Raleigh’s new, multi-modal Union Station will include a large waiting room, a grand Civic Hall for large public events, space for retail, restaurants or offices and a passenger platform with level-boarding for better access.
The saying is that a rolling stone gathers no moss. That saying fits Raleigh as the energetic and passionate minds of our community leaders are always moving forward, looking for ways to improve our area for citizens and visitors alike. If it’s been a while since you were here, be sure to stop by these hot new spots.
Something new and exciting is always on the horizon in Raleigh. Bright minds are leading the way with innovative ways to repurpose older structures with new visions. Check the status for opening dates on these new features and join us as we celebrate growth and change.
What does it mean to be an original? In Raleigh, N.C., the spirit of originality comes in many forms. It surfaces in a denim company hand-crafting jeans with keen attention to detail. It sizzles in the passion of a restaurateur who is building her distinctive brand throughout Raleigh. It stands out when a creative soul pours his energy into preserving, presenting and promoting traditional music. It takes hold of a scientist as he implores all ages to use their imagination.
When you visit Raleigh, N.C., our creative and passionate people will welcome you to join in. Chefs like Ashley Christensen will serve up amazing meals. Brewmaster Sumit Vohra will show you how a Texas-themed brewery can brew a delicious German-style Hefeweizen.
Passion is in the bag with Holly Aiken who threads together person, purpose and place at Stitch, her downtown Raleigh design studio. William Lewis’s driving force, PineCone, Piedmont Council of Traditional Music, produces more than 30 concerts each year.
Former rocket scientist Joel Graybeal motivates others to reach for new heights at the Triangle Rock Club, where the challenge is as much about problem-solving as it is physical. Dr. Emlyn Koster at the North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences points out that we are all children at one point and should continue to be extra curious about the world around us.
Come see what the city will inspire in you. Its authenticity is homegrown by passionate locals who are Originally Raleigh.
Throughout the Raleigh area
Passionate minds and originality can be found throughout Wake County. From barbecue to youth sports, creative and caring people energize their communities, making them inviting places to live and visit.
• In Apex, follow the enticing aroma to Big Mikes BBQ where Michael Markham showcases the art of smoking meats.
• Patrick Byrd chose Garner for his Full Bloom Coffee and Craft, where he works to reconnect communities with small businesses.
• At Cary’s La Farm Bakery, master baker Lionel Vatinet utilizes centuries-old baking traditions and techniques.
• White Street Brewing Company in Wake Forest handcrafts flavorful, small-batch ales and lagers under the watchful eye of owner and founder Dino Radosta.
• Raleigh, N.C., native Lee Browne located his Oaklee Distilling Co. in Wendell. His first release was Boots Vodka, followed by a signature gin.
• In Zebulon, Nelle Carroll welcomes customers to her family’s furniture store, which first opened in 1909.
• Knightdale’s Jenny Cope embraces the history and charm of the area with her vintage farmhouse home furnishings.
They all have passion for their work and passion for their communities, for the Raleigh area and beyond. If you see them on your visit, be sure to say hello.